lobsterdesigns: (Default)
Method: hand-pieced and hand-quilted, with a little embroidery.
Size: 36" x 41" plus 1/4" binding.
Piecing design: my own design, based upon photographs of turtles I found online.
Fabrics: about 40 fabrics. Except for the Makower Dimple used for the limbs, they were all batiks. The sea background was all cut from the turquoise in Sew Batik's Gradation range, also known as Nuance, which contains four shades of turquoise.
Batting: Hobbs Polydown.
Backing: Squiggle - Sunkist Orange Spice from Sew Batik. The background is patches of yellow green, light fuchsia and yellow-orange with a yellow-orange and yellow squiggle motif.

Read more... )
lobsterdesigns: (Fish baby quilt)
These little things are addictive. My mother's just had eye surgery, and while attempting to cheer her up and get us off the topic of painkillers, I started talking about quilting. Turns out she'd like a needle case too, please. Here it is in all its glory.

And a pincushion too! )
lobsterdesigns: (Waterlily quilt)
I'll probably add to this post bit by bit over the next few days, so watch this space. Meanwhile, there's a picture below the cut. I didn't come up with the design myself, it's from Ruth McDowell's Piecing Workshop (you can see hers on the back cover), but that still left plenty for me to do. Now I just have to get up the courage to learn how to use my new sewing machine and try to get it quilted in time for [livejournal.com profile] ghost_of_a_flea's mother's birthday in mid-January.

Other notes )
lobsterdesigns: (Autumnal bedspread)
Method: hand-pieced and hand-quilted.
Size: 87" x 89" plus 1/4" binding.
Piecing design: based on Offspring by Nancy Neumann. Made entirely of diamonds with 30 degree angles, and sides 6" long when sewn. These were sewn into strips 14 diamonds long, and the 29 strips were sewn together with triangles at the top and bottom.
Fabrics: 30 or so fabrics, primarily in browns, reds, golds, a little green, and minor touches of navy, purple and pink. Colours ranges from very muted to semi-bright, and from a soft gold through to very dark brown. Mostly batiks, a couple of Fossil Ferns, and some Makower Ombre stripes. The patterns were medium to large scale. The grain of the fabric ran along the length of the strips, so the pieces had to be cut into right- and left-facing.
Batting: Quilters' Dream cotton request weight.
Backing: A golden yellow cotton reminiscent of Moda Marbles, slightly lighter weight than usual, unknown manufacturer.

Other notes )
Page generated Friday, 23 June 2017 01:47 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios