I finished the appliqué last night (I went for the light green plinth border) and the borders are all on too, so I'm gazing proudly at the completed top. At least, the piecing is completed. The embroidery is another story. I've just done the first set of feathers, couching all six strands of gold metallic, and it's awkward, slow and has come out unevenly. I think I'm going to unpick it and then try two strands metallic, two strands ordinary yellow embroidery floss, which should be a hell of a lot easier to handle and also postpone the time when I run out of metallic thread. Meanwhile, I feel slightly discouraged, although it'll be fine when I get a fresh start tomorrow. I used the small version of the Q-snap and it really doesn't have the tension for embroidery, so I think I'll have to use an embroidery hoop and hope it doesn't crease the top too badly. Although on that subject, I starched the cream fabric twice before cutting it up for the background, and it definitely made life a lot easier. I also tried embroidering the face onto the scrap where I'd originally tried turning under the seam allowances on that shape. The eye came out OK, and I quite like the colours I used, but dear me, the satin stitched mouth looked awful! Oh, and it's a bastard to mark the feathers on, I have to clear the part of my glass desk that doesn't have a cutting mat on it (but does have, for instance, the laptop), put a spotlight lamp underneath the glass, arrange the master diagram - where I spent a while going over the feather lines in black ink - and the quilt top over it, weight it down with whatever's handy, and then try to trace the lines with a silver quilting pencil which keeps breaking. I more or less got the lines where I want them, though the quilt top kept moving about and I could barely see through the fabric to the lines I was tracing. Grrr! Still, that's one wing marked up.
You can see the whole thing, more or less, plonked on the sofa here